Gallipoli-2015® is a subsidiary of Orfimar P.L. ©2012, All Rights Reserved.
2010 ANZAC Peace Prize to Mr John (Vehici) Basarin
Posted by Marcus Falay on May 15, 2010
Our very own Tour Leader of Turkey Walk Tours, John Basarin is awarded 2010 The ANZAC Peace Prize.
The ANZAC Peace Prize, announced annually, is awarded by the RSL to ‘recognise any outstanding effort by an Australian citizen who has promoted the concept of international understanding and who, in so doing, has made a contribution to world peace.’
The RSL ANZAC Awards Committee has awarded the 2010 ANZAC Peace Prize to Mr John (Vehici) Basarin of Victoria in recognition of his sustained and enthusiastic commitment to promote relationships between Australia and other communities around the world, particularly in Turkey, with a significant emphasis on his commitment to Rotary Youth Exchange programs and building understanding of the Gallipoli Campaign.
Rear Admiral Ken Doolan AO RAN (Retd), RSL National President has also announced the recipients of the 2010 ANZAC of the Year awards. The ANZAC of the Year Awards are made annually ‘to recognise the efforts and achievements of up to seven Australians who have given service to their fellow Australians and to the community in a positive, selfless and compassionate manner.’
The 2010 recipients are:
Mr Glen Stockham of South Australia
- in recognition of his many years of dedicated service to the veteran and wider community in South Australia and Alice Springs, and particularly his efforts in the development of the Alice Springs RSL Sub-Branch War Museum.
Inspector Mark Carrick of New South Wales
- in recognition of his outstanding voluntary work, continued support and contribution to Police Legacy and in particular to mentoring Police Legatees.
Mr Robert Mercer of Western Australia
- in recognition of his years of dedicated and committed service to the community of Western Australia, particularly through the WA Ostomy Association, the Police & Citizens Youth Clubs of WA and the Returned & Services League of Australia.
Mr Luke Geary of New South Wales
- in recognition of his committed and selfless service in providing free legal representation through the Salvation Army to the marginalised and disadvantaged people in western Sydney.
Melbourne Royal Children’s Hospital Surgical Team (Victoria)
- in recognition for their extraordinary achievement in separating the conjoined twins Krishna and Trishna in a marathon surgical procedure in September 2009 The Team and their support staff displayed a high measure of individual and collegiate courage and comradeship in carrying out such a dangerous and difficult operation.
Mr Justin Davies of New South Wales
- in recognition of his service to the community, particularly through the development of the Salvation Army’s ‘Moneycare’ services and ‘Red Kite’.
Sergeant S of Special Operations Command.
- in recognition of outstanding service to the Defence community. On behalf of the RSL National Executive and Members, Rear Admiral Doolan has extended his congratulations to the Award recipients. In doing so, Admiral Doolan has added; ‘the award recipients exemplify the Spirit of ANZAC within the community through their dedication and commitment to the benefit of others.’
For more information contact: Rear Admiral Ken Doolan AO RAN (Retd) on 02 6248 7199 or 0410 627 873 OR Mr Derek Robson AM on 0416 258 125